Intellectual Disability FAQ’s

Making a Referral

Referrals are usually made by a Health Care professional, who will contact us on behalf of a potential Resident. A Referral Form is then emailed to the Referrer, who then arranges to have it completed and returned to us. Once received it will be considered and if appropriate an assessment of the potential Resident will be undertaken by members of our Multi-Disciplinary Team. Then a decision will be made on whether our service is suited to the individual or not.

Admission Process

Once a decision to admit is made, then the HSE will become involved and once they are in agreement with the proposal, then the Resident will be admitted.

Q: Can I view the service prior to any decision being made?


Yes, we understand that making a decision to enter any service can be a difficult one. Therefore, we encourage potential Residents and their families and friends to visit our service at any stage during the referral process. Arrangements to view any service can be made by contacting a member of the clinical team who carried out the initial assessment.

Q: How is my placement funded?


The majority of Placements are funded by the HSE. Placements Information is available on the HSE website at

Q: What activities take place in the Disability Service you provide?


The Talbot Group believes in empowering individuals to live as independently as possible. We currently support individual residents in a variety of settings and have been developing an array of training programmes, facilities and outreach support programmes to facilitate all our Residents in moving towards greater independence. Our service is based on taking a person-centred approach within the context of social inclusion and improved quality of life.

We have a broad-based programme offering a variety of activities that meet the changing needs of the Residents in the service.

The Talbot Group has Community Facilitators to help residents make the most of and participate in their local community and the ordinary services within that community.

Q: What sort of work has the Community Facilitator done for residents?


Many residents have worked with the Community facilitators to get involved in mainstream Adult Education.

We work with Fingal, Louth / Meath and Cavan/Monaghan ETB’s. This has enabled residents to participate in courses in Computers, Art and Craft’s, Literacy and Numeracy and Work Related Skills.

Some Residents have used community facilitation to build their social circle. These residents have been supported to attend Special Olympics, music lessons, Macra Na Feirme, active retirement
groups, and Men’s Shed’s and aqua aerobics to name but a few.

For others the community facilitation service is about ‘getting a job’, The Community Facilitators help the resident to explore work options and develop links with the national supported employment agencies.

Q: Who will be taking care of me?


We have a highly skilled and caring team led by a Clinical Services Manager. Our care team comprises of – Consultant Psychiatrists, G.P., Nursing, Psychology, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Social Worker, Dietician, Activity Instructors and Health and Social Care Support Workers.